The Top 7 things that make Mitchell unique and surprising
Unique and Surprising
- The World’s Only Corn Palace, an icon of innovation featuring murals made of corn and native grains and grasses.
- The Corn Palace Stampede Rodeo is our midsummer, stop-everything-and-attend event. Six nights of cowboys and cowgirls showing off their best stuff. This is a 47-year-old Mitchell tradition for locals and visitors alike.
- The Corn Palace Festival – sense a theme here? We love to celebrate our community icon. The Corn Palace Festival is an old-fashioned community carnival and entertainment extravaganza. Six blocks of our historic Main Street are cordoned off, so we can provide carnival rides, games and fair food for five nights … it’s the best way to enjoy the waning days of summer. In addition, musical acts take the stage each night at the World’s Only Corn Palace. There is something for everyone!
- First Fridays … we bring the whole community together on the first Friday evenings of May through September. Live music, food and drinks make it fun for all.
- Two postsecondary educational institutions: Dakota Wesleyan University and Mitchell Technical Institute. Both have been recognized for outstanding academic programs, and the two collaborate on some majors for a technical/liberal arts combined degree.
- We’re the home of champions … the DWU women’s basketball team won the NAIA DII National Championship in 2018! Mitchell is also the home of former NBA star Mike Miller, and former Minnesota Viking Chad Greenway is from nearby Mount Vernon.
- Pheasants. And more pheasants … this is a hunter’s mecca.